HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – For Kainani Kahaunaele, the third album made the charm.
Kahaunaele, who was born and raised in Kauai and now a longtime Hilo resident, won seven awards in six categories for her album Waipunalei at the 44th Annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.
The recording won the album of the year award, where Kahaunaele won two Na Hoku awards as an artist and producer.
Kahaunaele also won the award for Song of the Year, Singer of the Year, Hawaiian Music Album of the Year, and Hawaiian Language Performance.
Hiapo K. Perreira and Kahaunaele also won a Hoku for the Haku Mele Award for the song “Ohaoha Kou Lei Pua I Ka Hikina”.
Lukela Keala also had an exceptional evening, winning the Male Vocalist of the Year and Island Music Album of the Year award for his self-titled solo album. He also received Hoku Awards as the lead singer of the group Ekolu, which won Group of the Year and Reggae Album of the Year.
Multiple Hoku Award winners Iolani Kamauu and Natalie Ai Kamauu won three more Hoku Awards for Single of the Year, Hawaiian Single of the Year and Music Video of the Year.
This was the second year in a row that the Hawaii Academy of Recording Arts has pre-recorded the broadcast awards ceremony due to COVID. Presenters and performers were crewed into the Hawaii Theater nearly a month ago, and all attendees had to be vaccinated and tested for COVID before being allowed entry. However, the winners were not revealed until the ceremony aired on K5 and various digital platforms. .
The show will be rebroadcast on October 9 on KGMB and October 30 on KHNL.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Album of the Year (Artist and Producer Award): Waipunalei by Kainani Kahaunaele (Māhuahua Music LLC) Kainani Kahaunaele, producer
- EP (“Extended Play”) of the year: Where i reside by Kalaʻe (Kalaʻe)
- Hawaiian EP (“Extended Play”) of the Year: “He Mele No Papa “by Kalani Miles (Mea Nui Records LLC)
- Single of the year: “Noelani “by Iolani & Natalie Ai Kamauu (Keko Records LLC)
- Hawaiian Single of the Year: “My Sweet” by Iolani & Natalie Ai Kamauu (Keko Records LLC)
- Christmas bachelor of the year: “O Holy Night” by Kalani Pe’a (Pe’a Records & Entertainment)
- Music Video of the Year: “Noelani” by Iolani & Natalie Ai Kamauu, (Keko Records LLC) Justyn Ah Chong, video director / Kapena DeLima, music producer
- Hawaiian Music Video of the Year: “Worldwide # Jam4Maunakea – Ku Haʻaheo & Hawaiʻi Loa” Mitch Viernes, video director / Kelii Heath-Cruz, music producer
- Instrumental composition of the year (Composer’s Prize): “Brave” by Kris Fuchigami (Kris Fuchigami)
- Song of the Year (Composer’s Award): “Waipunalei” by Kainani Kahaunaele (Māhuahua Music LLC)
- Female singer of the year: Kainani Kahaunaele for Waipunalei (Māhuahua Music LLC)
- Male singer of the year: Lukela Keala for Lukela Keala (Waiehu Records)
- Group of the year: Ekolu for 2020 (Waiehu Records)
- Most promising artist (s) of the year: Keilana for I am (Zéo Music)
- Alternative Album of the Year: Chroma (Vol. 1) by Sean Cleland (Sean Cleland Music LLC)
- Anthology of the Year (Producer Award): Tropical Knights anthology album (KDE Records) Kapena DeLima, producer
- Christmas Album of the Year: Kapena: A Christmas special for the Kapena family by Kapena (KDE Records)
- Compilation Album of the Year (Producer Award): Lei Nāhonoapiʻilani: Nā Mele Hou (North Beach West Maui Benefit Fund) Zachary Alakaʻi Lum & Nicholas Kealiʻi Lum, producers
- Contemporary Album of the Year: henri’s house by Henry Kapono (Kapono Records)
- Contemporary Acoustic Album of the Year: First dance by Kaleo Phillips (Maui Tribe Records)
- Hawaiian Music Album of the Year: Waipunalei by Kainani Kahaunaele (Māhuahua Music LLC)
- Hawaiian Slack Key Album of the Year: Far by Patrick Landeza (Addison Street)
- Hip-Hop Album of the Year: From under Maunakea by Punahele (Punahele)
- Instrumental album of the year: Queen Lili’uokalani by The Mana Music Quartet (Mana Music Hawaiʻi)
- Island Music Album of the Year: Lukela Keala by Lukela Keala (Waiehu Records)
- Jazz Album of the Year: Your chorus by Maggie Herron (Herron Song Records)
- Metal album of the year: Poisoned love by Storm (Tin Idol Productions)
- R&B Album of the Year: I am by Keilana (Zeo Music)
- Reggae Album of the Year: 2020 by Ekolu (Waiehu Records)
- Religious album of the year: Nā Haleli by Kenneth Makuakāne (Makuakane Music Music)
- Rock Album of the Year: Diamond Head Route by Michael Piranha (Tubby Tunes Records)
- Ukulele Album of the Year: “ The life of the ukulele by Herb Ohta Jr. (Lele Music Productions)
- Favorite Artist of the Year: Henry Kapono Ka’aihue
- International Album Special Recognition Award: Kaulana (TRIO) – Leolani
- Haku Mele (Composer’s Award): Hiapo K. Perreira & Kainani Kahaunaele for “Ohaoha Kou Lei Pua I Ka Hikina”
- Performance in Hawaiian Language (Artist Award): Waipunalei by Kainani Kahaunaele (Māhuahua Music LLC)
- Hawaiian Engineering Award: Michael Casil for Lei Makamae by Makamae Auwae (Soulforth Records)
- General Engineering Award: Imua Garza, Nate Brown and Evan Khay for In the desert by Rachel Morley (Zeo Music Worship)
- Liner Notes Price: Uʻilani Tanigawa Lum & Zachary Alakaʻi Lum for Huliāmahi, Vol. 1 by various artists
- Graphic price: Elsa Senner for To balance by Tavana
Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.